While there are many reasons to visit Napa Valley, enjoying incredible wine tasting experiences are surely at the top. As the premier wine region in the United States and one of the top winemaking regions in the world, there are a plethora of wines to taste and wineries to visit, and tasting fees can add up. Check out our guide below to approachable introductory wine tastings at top wineries and tasting rooms & wine shops across Napa Valley with tasting fees at $50 or under per person.
Over the past few years, the trend for wine tastings in Napa Valley has turned towards seated experiences, often one hour to 90 minutes in length, and consist of wine educators walking patrons through a flight of three to six wines. The wines showcased are typically small-production wines and/or winery exclusives.
Overall, the range of wine tasting options offered in Napa Valley can be as straightforward or as elaborate as you desire. Elevated experiences might include food pairings or tours of the winemaking facilities, wine caves, or vineyards, while simpler tastings might feature a flight of three wines on the back deck overlooking vineyards. No matter your preference, there is a winery tasting option for most palates and, it’s worth noting that some wineries will waive or discount tasting fees with the purchase of wines during your visit.
Tasting experiences may change seasonally, so make sure to confirm availability, prices, and offerings when making a reservation and have fun exploring all the amazing options here!
Alpha Omega Collective Tasting Room
The Alpha Omega Collective showcases Chardonnay and Cabernet from Alpha Omega in Napa Valley in addition to wines from other domestic and global wine regions.
- The “Signature Flight” features four samples for $50.
This small-production, contemporary winery offers two tastings at its Downtown Napa tasting room, each with organically-farmed white, rosé, and red wines.
- “The Essentials” $30
- “The Throwback” $35
- A wine by the glass option is available, too.
Chateau Buena Vista
The whimsical, 1920s glitz setting of this extravagant tasting room features a variety of wines from proprietor, Jean Charles Boisset, and his collection.
- The “Taste of Buena Vista” flight provides four samples for $40.
Compline Wine Shop
This ultra-cool wine-shop-meets-tasting-lounge is the perfect spot to dive into a perfectly curated wine flight led by a knowledgeable sommelier, all set to great music.
- “Wine Without Borders” $40
- “Champagne” $50
- “European Classics” $50
The wines are easy-to-love and the atmosphere rocks at this tasting room and music studio which is open late and features live music Thursday to Saturday nights. Reservations encouraged, walk-ins welcome.
- Indoor and outdoor tasting options start at $40.
- Wine by the glass is $13–$20.
Age-worthy, classically styled Chardonnay, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon can be explored at this hip tasting room. Seated tastings start at $35 and can include a library vintage served alongside a current release.
- “White Wine Selection” $35
- “Current Vintage Tasting” $35
- “Red Wine Tasting” $50
Outer Space Wines
Out-of-this-world wines and values can be found at this fun wine shop on Franklin Street off First Street, featuring food and wine pairings on Saturday evenings and themed tasting events on Thursday and Friday evenings, which often include guest winemakers, importers, and chefs!
- The Outer Space Daily Tasting for $20 features three local wines and one "far out wine.” Tasting fees may be offset with wine purchase.
These tasting rooms in Downtown Napa also offer tastings for $50 and under:
Artesa Vineyard & Winery
Innovative architecture, artisan wines, and panoramic views of the Carneros region and the San Pablo Bay draw guests to this expansive winery. Fun fact, the winery had a cameo in the 2019 movie, “Wine Country,” and visiting guests are encouraged to walk the beautiful grounds.
- Hosted in the salon or foyer bar, the hour-long “Artisanal Tasting” spotlights estate and single vineyard wines for $45.
Black Stallion Winery
Originally the site of an equestrian center, this picturesque winery has several outdoor seating areas – providing a perfect atmosphere to sip the small production wines.
- The “Terrace Seated Tasting” includes four samples of wine ($40 for a mixed wine flight; $50 for a red wine flight).
- Book a “Vineyard Garden Picnic Table” (seasonal experience) and bring your own picnic to enjoy along with wine bottle service from the winery.
This sparkling wine château is a “must visit” for the wines, the ambiance, and the views. Four tasting flights are offered with two under $50. Cheese, caviar, and smoked seafood options are available (for an additional fee).
- The “Sparkling Wine Sampler” showcases the range of styles – from a Brut Cuvée to a Demi-Sec.
- The “Red Wine Sampler” comprises tastes of four different Pinot Noirs.
Located at The Grand Reserve at the Meritage Resort and Spa, this tasting room welcomes visitors for wines by the glass, a wine flight, and wine by the bottle. Taste the elements of sun, soil, and humanity, the “Trinity,” in each bottle.
- Select from current releases and library wines to taste four samples in the “Trinitas Cellars Tasting” for $50.
William Hill Estate Winery
Not too far off the beaten path, William Hill Estate Winery offers excellent wine and…those views! Situated just off the picturesque Silverado Trail, this estate offers two tasting experiences focused on Chardonnay and Bordeaux-varietal wines.
- The $45 seated outdoor “Estate Tasting” is an in-depth exploration of estate-grown wines paired with small bites.
- The $30 “Overlook Tasting” features four wine samples.
These wineries and wine shops in the Napa region also offer tastings for $50 and under:
This Yountville winery, renowned for its sparkling wines, has a fun vibe and a sprawling tasting space with a garden and vast lawn area.
- The “Adventure Flight” is a one-hour experience that features four sparkling wines for $50.
Hill Family Estate
The Hill family has a long history of grape growing in Napa Valley and the craft of expertise shows in the high-quality, small-production wines on offer at the tasting salon in downtown Yountville.
- “Wine Tasting” $40
- “Blind Tasting” $50
Hope & Grace Wines
This artisan winery produces just 3,000 cases annually with a focus on limited production, single vineyard, 100% varietal Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Semillon, Chardonnay, and Dry Riesling.
- “Classic Wine Tasting” $35
- “Wine & Cheese Experience” $50
- “Reserve Library Tasting” $50
JCB Tasting Salon
The JCB Tasting Salon is a feast for the eyes and the palate! Sip on sparkling wines along with Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, and proprietary red blends, all in a captivating atmosphere.
- A 60-minute premium tasting flight starts at $50.
Experience unconventional food pairings or enjoy fine caviar and sparkling wine at this downtown tasting room which also features Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc, Grenache Blanc, and a Brut Rosé.
- A “Seated Tasting Experience” starts at $40.
These tasting rooms and wine shops in Yountville also offer tastings for $50 and under:
Oakville & Rutherford
Celebrating 50 years, Cakebread Cellars has built a tremendous legacy in Napa Valley and proudly welcomes guests to the winery to sample the sustainably produced wine portfolio.
- Take a communal walk around the grounds while tasting four current release wines with the “Cakebread Classic Tasting” for $50.
Conn Creek Winery
Another staple in Napa Valley, Conn Creek marks 50 years with a continued focus on crafting the highest quality Cabernet Sauvignon, sourcing from nearly all of Napa Valley’s distinct appellations.
- The $50 “AVA Experience Tasting” illustrates the diversity of Napa Valley sub-regions and the distinct variations and expressions from year to year.
Elizabeth Spencer Winery
Set in an historic 1872 brick post office, this winery is one of the valley’s best-kept secrets – from unique and balanced wines to charming garden grounds to an eclectic repository of curated kitchen gadgets and tools spanning a century.
- The $50 “Signature Flight” includes a tasting of small-production wines from Napa Valley featured alongside wines from other California appellations.
- At $25 partake in a self-guided walk on the “Kathleen Thompson Hill Kitchen Memories Tour.”
Celebrating its 40th anniversary, this family-owned winery continues to innovate while remaining an integral piece of the Napa Valley landscape. The sycamore tree-lined entrance is a notable point of interest on its own and, once on the grounds, guests may enjoy tastings overlooking the gardens and vines.
- “Classic Tasting” $50
St. Supéry Estate Vineyards & Winery
Known for its exceptional Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon as well as the proprietary Élu and Virtú blends, this winery has a broad portfolio and wine educators who are eager to help guests explore it! Pro tip – head up to the second floor to view the current art gallery exhibit.
- The $40 “Winemakers Selection” tasting includes four red and white wines from the sustainably farmed vineyards.
These wineries and wine shops in Oakville and Rutherford also offer tastings for $50 and under:
Napa's oldest continuously operating winery, Beringer is an American wine icon built on 145 years of winemaking tradition. Explore the unique history and expansive grounds of this timeless classic.
- The $45 “Beringer Backyard Social” is an outdoor experience with access to the bocce ball court and includes one bottle of wine served with a charcuterie board.
- The $20 outdoor “A Stroll Around Beringer with a Glass of Wine” experience is family- and dog-friendly, too.
Clif Family Winery
High-quality, low-impact is the Clif Family mantra and something guests can certainly feel good about!
- The $50 “Seasonal Wine Tasting” features small production wines paired with culinary bites highlighting ingredients from the Clif Family organic farm.
- The new $50 “Farm Elixir Mocktail Flight” is an alcohol-free experience paired with small bites and highlights seasonal combinations of fruit preserves, honey, and fresh produce.
Proprietor Jean-Charles Boisset created a dynamic destination to inspire guests’ passion for fine wine and to encourage exploration of the senses with interactive exhibits.
- Sample signature Cabernet Sauvignon beneath Baccarat chandeliers in a working wine cellar during the “The Crystal Cellar” experience at $50.
- For $40, the “Taste of the Valley” experience overlooking the vineyards introduces guests to several wines from the portfolio.
Nestled on a tree-covered hill in northern Napa Valley, Rombauer Vineyard offers stunning valley views and gardens where guests may wander.
- Enjoy a “Tasting Flight” for $25 which includes the fan-favorite Chardonnay.
- Wines by the glass or bottle are available to enjoy at the outdoor garden experience.
V. Sattui Winery
Founded in 1885, this family-owned winery makes more than 60 different wines! It is a must-see destination that features an array of great wines, a wide variety of food items from the on-site deli, a large picnic area and garden with scenic views, and wine caves.
- The $40 “Premier Indoor Tasting” includes five wine samples.
- The $50 “Premier Outdoor Tasting” includes up to five wines.
- The $45 “Bubble Bar Tasting” includes four samples of sparkling wine served on the iconic Stone Winery Terrace.
These wineries and wine bars in St. Helena also offer tastings for $50 and under:
Bennett Lane Winery
Situated on one of the most picturesque vineyard properties in the northern part of Napa Valley, Bennett Lane welcomes visitors for an educational wine tasting and incredible views of the Palisades Mountains.
- The $33 “Signature Tasting” features four wines and includes the proprietary blend, Maximus, alongside a Cabernet Sauvignon from the portfolio.
Castello di Amorosa
Affectionately known as “The Castle,” this stylized replica of a 14th-century Tuscan castle winery is a Napa Valley landmark.
- A $50 “Standing Reserve Tasting” allows guests to taste a flight of five wines from the extensive portfolio and enjoy a self-guided tour of the castle and grounds.
Picayune (pronounced pee-kah-yoon) means “a little bit” in regional French. In following the classic French negociant model, winemaker and proprietor Claire Weinkauf buys small lots of grapes to make great wines. The wine lounge in downtown Calistoga also features a curated selection of artisanal goods – a perfect spot to sip and shop.
- The “Classic Tasting” includes five samples for $35.
Tank Garage Winery
Toast to vintage California culture in this 1930s-era gas station turned wine tasting room. Tasting fees are waived with a purchase of any three bottles or by joining the wine club.
- The $30 “Lubrication Tasting” features four one-of-a-kind wines, made by hand from grapes grown in small lots.
These wineries and tasting rooms in Calistoga also offer tastings for $50 and under:
With wine tastings at $50 or less per person, the options are plenty.
Some insider tips on how to maximize the fun… plan for two tastings (and no more than three) in a day; mix it up by booking at one of the fabulous spots recommended here and a second at a splurge-worthy spot or get a light bite at any of these food lovers' spots between the two tastings; and…sip safely and smartly by hiring a designated driver.
Main photo credit: Joanna Salazar at V. Sattui Winery