Director of Communications, Community & Industry Relations
Posted: September 2021
Visit Napa Valley is seeking an experienced, strategic corporate communications leader to join our team. The Director of Communications, Community and Industry Relations is a new, senior-level team member who will be responsible for managing and expanding VNV’s communications, brand, and community efforts. You will drive brand awareness, strengthen brand identity and ensure the industry, community, partners and legislature, view the organization favorably. You will oversee corporate communications, as well as act as VNV’s regional community liaison in Napa Valley and work closely with our community partners to support the communities we serve. You will be responsible for developing, deploying, and sustaining community engagement strategies in local markets. You will communicate strategic priorities with leaders within the community and represent VNV by attending events, limited public speaking engagements, and participating on local boards and committees.
Who Your Are:
Our ideal candidate is an experienced, self-motivated, results driven, sharp verbal and written communicator, with existing institutional relationships who will skillfully represent our external brand and reputation. You act as brand ambassador and evangelist and are able to develop and conduct strategic communication plans that highlight value and preserve reputation. You have spent years working with communities and government leaders on policy planning. You are a mission-driven, experienced liaison who can sort through the ambiguity and uncertainty of local politics to find solutions. You are a people person who empathizes easily with and inspires others.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage and expand VNV’s communications, brand and community efforts.
- B2B / Tourism Impact messaging
- Manage b2b / business / corporate messaging with local & regional media outlets and other community stakeholders
- “Speaker Bureau” - prepare remarks, presentations, support letters, etc. for CEO and senior leadership staff.
- Lead the communications team in its development of strategic processes to seize opportunities to advance Napa Valley as a world class destination.
- Work with Director of Marketing to monitor and regularly assess Destination Napa Valley’s reputational strength.
- Support our growing team in acquiring the skills and knowledge they need to become confident ambassadors of our work to the audiences they regularly engage with.
- Liaise with board members to understand and discuss the most effective ways to champion the value of tourism to the Napa Valley community.
- Lead Crisis Communications strategy and tactics as issues arise (wildfires, pandemics, etc.)
- Develop, update and oversee a plan,associated collaterals, press releases and internal and external communications with a focus on crisis communications.
- Partners with marketing leadership to coordinate crisis communication including creating crisis communication plans, responding to negative media coverage around fires, Covid, etc. and drafting and dispersing crisis communication materials.
- Partners with outside public relations firm to create crisis communications and press releases as needed.
Community / Resident Relations:
- Be a champion for authentically communicating tourism’s benefits to the community and residents. Inspire and enlist other stakeholders to be ambassadors for tourism in the Napa Valley.
- Collaborate with VNV leadership to track community engagement efforts and develop action plans.
- Serve as an interface with local community officials and business leaders regarding community engagement and outreach opportunities in the areas we serve.
- Identify and build partnerships with local stakeholders who support local initiatives and tourism.
- Handle public policy matters and local advocacy including industry mobilization efforts.
- Manage public affairs efforts and agency
- Proactively liaise with VNV communications and marketing team, as well as sales and other departments, to infuse the “Tourism Impact” messaging.
- Produce and launch “Napa Valley 101” - a new, engaging education program for Napa Valley hospitality front-line employees, highlighting what makes Napa Valley a world class destination and winegrowing region, as well as a dynamic place to visit, live and work.
- Partner with best-in-class organizations like Napa Valley Vintners on programming and community engagement
- Develop and promote “Tourism Impact” resources and programs that position lodging and tourism as a vital economic sector and good community partner, including outreach via meeting and event attendance with multiple community organizations
- Develop and execute annual community engagement and outreach strategy engaging with local Chambers of Commerce and Tourism Improvement Districts.
- In partnership with VNV CEO, identify community issues, help shape policy positions and meet with leaders to engage support and initiate traction. Assist with outreach and communication efforts to ensure the correct messaging and materials about these issues are disseminated.
- In partnership with VNV CEO, conduct proactive and frequent outreach to community leaders, decision makers, and other organizations with appropriate and accurate information about issues affecting lodging/hospitality. Provide periodic updates on Visit Napa Valley programs and tourism benefits to constituencies.
- Engage, connect and collaborate with visitor-serving businesses throughout Napa Valley.
- Identify big and small opportunities to strengthen connections between key stakeholders and our work.
- Be a passionate and enthusiastic champion for our Visit Napa Valley brand, our key messages and year-round campaigns, and our programs in the community. Encourage engagement of hospitality partners.
- Work with Visit Napa Valley’s Marketing & Sales teams, as well as vendor agencies, to develop and distribute VNV’s Visitor Profile and Economic Impact studies, as well as additional insight reports. Be a conduit for disseminating key insights to relevant audiences / constituents.
- Stay informed about lodging project development and industry data and communicate key learnings.
- Lead involvement, engagement and programming in the Great Wine Capitals Network for the San Francisco / Napa Valley region.
- In partnership with VNV CEO, lead involvement, engagement and programming with community issues related to workforce housing, transportation and destination sustainability.
- Lead involvement, engagement and programming with community organizations such as Napa Valley Vine Trail Coalition, Community Organizations Active in Disaster (COAD), Hospitality Industry Partnership (HIP), Napa Valley Transportation Authority (NVTA) Citizens Advisory Committee, etc.
- Represent VNV at committee meetings, community meetings, forums, events, and other venues within the tourism community in the Napa Valley.
- In partnership with VNV CEO, provide strategic leadership to relationships with political leaders and government staff (at the county level, within each Napa Valley jurisdiction / town, as well as with Napa Valley’s state and national representatives) to proactively communicate about issues affecting lodging/hospitality and tourism overall. Provide periodic updates on Visit Napa Valley programs and tourism benefits to residents and the community, as well as economic impact.
- Participate in VNV’s legislative activities including: monitoring of new legislation, inquiries from elected officials, constituent management, letters of position, and more.
- Serve as VNV’s liaison with federal and state advocacy groups (US Travel, CalTravel, Destinations International, etc.).
- Produce and maintain VNV & NVTC Board agendas, minutes and postings; update and maintain bylaws, oversee Brown Act compliance; manage Board and Committee communications, rosters and calendar; provide Board & governance support
- Lead VNV Lodging Luncheon committee program, including strategic management of presentation content & speakers, event logistics, etc.
- Bachelors degree.
- 15+ years of relevant communications experience leading communication strategy in non-profits, community affairs, political or grassroots organizing, or policy advocacy.
- Business acumen and fluency in the fundamentals of community communications.
- Knowledge of legislative and government processes. Experience working for state or local government and/or an elected official is a plus.
- Proven track record of building relationships with internal stakeholders and external partner organizations.
- Self-starter, a doer, creative, problem-solver, critical thinker
- Proven success cultivating and maintaining positive relationships with external constituencies, including community partners, government officials and other government and quasi-governmental organizations.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in the corporate communications realm.
- Superb judgment and emotional intelligence with ability to diffuse situations and forge consensus among divergent views.
- Technically savvy.
- Meticulous attention to detail and demonstrated history in project planning and process management.
- Demonstrated ability to earn trust across a range of levels and disciplines to establish yourself and the team as a trusted partner.
- Ability to connect with and inspire people to drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple groups with competing priorities.
Apply: Qualified candidates may send resume and cover letter to HR@VisitNapaValley.com.
Guest Experience Manager
Posted: September 2021
Summary: The Guest Experience Manager oversees and supports the day-to-day operations of the Napa Valley Welcome Center including retail operations and concierge services. The Guest Experience Manager is an ambassador responsible for providing exemplary guest concierge service to visitors at the Napa Valley Welcome Center while facilitating guest experience and engagement through innovative digital encounters.
The ideal candidate will be friendly and professional and have a passion for guest engagement and the Napa Valley.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as a brand ambassador for on-premise brand experience at the Napa Valley Welcome Center.
- Assist the Sr. Manager of Partner and Guest Experience in the positioning and branding of Napa Valley within the Welcome Center platform.
- Train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate Napa Valley Welcome Center staff.
- Manage Welcome Center performance in guest services, staffing, guest data collection, partner referral, retail operations, and the implementation of health and safety protocols in public areas.
- Daily oversight of opening and closing procedures, coordinate breaks and lunches, providing coverage personally as necessary.
- General office and CRM database responsibilities, including reporting.
- Maintain facility operations.
- Serve as the first point of contact for any escalated visitor or employee complaints, issues, or questions. Take appropriate action where necessary regarding access or safety issues in the Welcome Center including notifying the Sr. Manager of Partner and Guest Experience.
- Create daily, weekly and monthly sales and demographic reports in a timely manner.
- Schedule and execute monthly meetings with Welcome Center staff and Sr. Manager
- Support retail operations and cross-train on associated functions.
- Together with the Sr. Manager of Partner and Guest Experience, manage events held at the Welcome Center; including scheduling, set-up, staff management, clean up, etc.
- Act as concierge to provide information to visitors regarding Napa Valley hotels, wineries, local activities & attractions, the Napa Valley region and any other pertinent guest inquiries - with an emphasis on strategic recommendations based on guest needs and stakeholder interests, utilizing a variety of platforms
Requirements – Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills delivered in a friendly and professional manner.
- Demonstrated passion for providing a high level of customer service.
- Ability to exercise initiative, sound judgment and diplomacy in all Visit Napa Valley related matters.
- Tech savvy is a must; with the ability to continue to drive innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage with culturally diverse audiences of varying ages.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees, management, partners and the general public.
- A team player, flexible, fun, energetic and enthusiastic.
- Willingness and ability to maintain a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Must have a passion for food and wine.
- Confident public speaker.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Multilingual fluency is always a benefit
- Must be available to work weekends, and have flexible hours throughout the week.
- This is a hands-on, floor based position requiring the ability to comfortably stand and talk for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Requirements – Experience and Education:
- 3-5 years of experience in a management role; preferably in a tasting room.
- Experience in inspiring and motivating staff rather than supervising is critical.
- Experience in the Napa Valley hospitality industry; knowledge of the Napa Valley wine and/or tourism industry.
- Experience creating and generating reports to reflect performance and analytics.
- Experience representing a luxury brand through customer service is preferred.
- Bachelors degree strongly preferred; with area of study in the realm of hospitality or marketing.
Apply: Qualified candidates may send resume and cover letter to HR@VisitNapaValley.com.