Visit Napa Valley
Visit Napa Valley


Visit Napa Valley sponsors an in-market survey every other year to gather visitor information and assess tourism's economic impact on the Napa Valley. This research is conducted by Destination Analysts, a San Francisco based company specializing in tourism market research and intelligence. Below is a snapshot of the most recent 2016 results.


The Napa Valley Visitor

The research surveys for the 2016 Napa Valley Visitor Profile consists of three parts: a Napa Valley lodging guest survey; a Napa Valley visitor intercept survey of day-trip visitors and those staying with friends and relatives in private homes; and a telephone survey of Napa County homeowners to quantify visitors staying in private homes.

  • In 2016, the Napa Valley welcomed a total of 3.5 million visitors
  • 79.2 percent of visitors surveyed were from the United States and 20.8 percent were international visitors
  • One-third, or 35.5 percent, of visitors surveyed in 2016 stayed overnight in the Napa Valley, while the remaining 64.5 percent were on a day trip to the destination
  • Hotel guests spent an average of $401.59 per person, per day, compared to an average of $146 per person, per day spent by day-trippers

The Economic Impact of Tourism

In 2016, Napa Valley's visitor industry generated $80.3 million in tax revenues for government entities in Napa County, which is an increase of 25.2 percent from 2014, which resulted in $64.2 million in tax revenues. Taxes directly generated by the visitor industry include revenues from the transient occupancy tax (hotel tax), sales taxes and property and transfer taxes paid on lodging facilities.

  • The Napa Valley visitor industry generated $1.9 billion in total visitor spending inside the county, most of which was generated from local hotel guests ($1.32 billion, or 69.5 percent of the total).
  • The tourism industry supports an estimated 13,437 jobs, with a combined payroll of $387 million.

Results from the studies and research can be accessed by downloading the full reports from each year using the links below:

Quick Facts     2016
Visitor Profile 2012 2014 2016
Economic Impact 2012 2014 2016


Adobe ReaderTo view PDF files, you must have Adobe Reader. To download a free copy, please visit Adobe's Web Site. If you use the plug-in version, simply close the browser window after you have finished reading the PDF to go back to our site.