Travel Research & Statistics
Visit Napa Valley is the official destination management organization for Napa County, responsible for promoting the community as an attractive travel destination and ideal place to live and work.
Visit Napa Valley sponsors an in-market survey every other year to gather visitor information and assess tourism's economic impact within the Napa Valley. This research is conducted by Destination Analysts, a San Francisco based company specializing in tourism market research and intelligence.
2018 Research Highlights
- Napa Valley welcomed a total of 3.85 million visitors.
- The tourism industry generated $85.1 million in tax relief to residents, an increase of 5.8 percent from 2016.
- The tourism industry generated $2.23 billion in total visitor spending inside Napa County.
- Almost 70 percent is generated from overnight hotel guests, who spend an average of $446 in Napa County per guest, per day.
- Direct visitor spending within the county increased 15.9 percent since 2016, outpacing visitor growth of 8.9 percent in the same time period.
- The tourism industry remains the second largest employer in Napa County (after the wine industry), supporting the livelihood of an estimated 15,872 people in the community, with a combined payroll of $492 million.
- Overnight visitation grew 13.7 percent from 2016 (1.2 million), outpacing day trip growth at 5.3 percent (2.4 million).
Results from the studies and research can be accessed by downloading the full reports from each year using the links below:
To view PDF files, you must have Adobe Reader. To download a free copy, please visit Adobe's Web Site. If you use the plug-in version, simply close the browser window after you have finished reading the PDF to go back to our site.