Some say, “Cab is King” in Napa Valley, and while our red wines are indeed phenomenal, there is nothing better than a cool crisp white wine in the summer or snuggling up with a buttery Chardonnay or dessert wine in the winter. Whether it’s a fruity Sauvignon Blanc, a floral Viognier, or a sweet late-harvest Riesling, these Napa Valley white wines are sure to please your palate.
These are the best Napa Valley wineries to visit for tasting white wines:
- St. Supéry Estate Vineyards & Winery makes seven different white wines and features a white tasting flight of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, and their Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc blend, Virtú.
- Rutherford Ranch Winery has four different Chardonnays and one Sauvignon Blanc. Be sure to enjoy it with their lemon white chocolate – it’s like the two were made for each other.
- Trefethen Family Vineyards features five white wines including their famous Chardonnay and Dry Riesling.
- Nichelini Family Winery has five different styles of white wine: Semillon, Sauvignon Blanc, Sauvignon Vert (an uncommon varietal for the area), a Bordeaux varietal white blend and a Muscato.
- V. Sattui makes 21 white wines at the winery. Each week they rotate their wine tasting menu, so you can try several different white wines each week. Stop by their full deli to make a perfectly paired cheese plate to enjoy in their picnic area.
- Materra – Cunat Family Vineyard’s daily tasting includes three delicious whites among other red wines: Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, and Chardonnay. They also just recently opened up their brand-new tasting room in Napa.
- Grgich Hills Estate has a white wine tasting which features two different Chardonnays, a reserve Sauvignon Blanc, their famous Fumé Blanc and a late harvest dessert wine.
- Jessup Cellars offers visitors a white flight that features their Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, and Viognier.
- Pine Ridge Vineyards makes two different Chardonnays and a delicious Chenin Blanc Viognier. If you are lucky, they will have their Rose in stock.
- Bouchaine Vineyards features their estate Chardonnay, Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc.
- Chimney Rock Winery has a Sauvignon Gris and two white blends including, Elevage Blanc (Sauvignon Blanc and Sauvignon Gris) and the GALAXY Blanc (Viognier, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc).
- Clos Pegase: Known for its spectacular modern architecture and drought-resistant heritage garden, Clos Pegase is the perfect location to experience a warm, summer day and a cool glass of Sauvignon Blanc. The winery also recently won Best Chardonnay and Best Sauvignon Blanc in Calistoga's Winter in the Wineries People's Choice Awards.
Photo Credit: Bob McClenahan