Discover open spaces and agri-tourism on this locals' guide to American Canyon.
After all this sheltering in place, nothing beats a day out in the sunshine and wide-open spaces of American Canyon. Pack a cooler and a picnic blanket, grab your hiking boots, and take a mini road trip to discover this charming Napa Valley town that’s just beyond your backyard.
- Start the day at Le Paris Artisan for a latte and a gourmet pastry (if you have a sweet tooth don’t miss their famous Cro-puff, a delightful cross between creme puff and croissant). While you’re there, grab takeout sandwiches and drinks to pack for a picnic lunch at your afternoon stop. You can also call in your order ahead of time and simply pick it up curbside if you prefer a low-touch experience.
- Head to Newell Open Space Preserve for a leisurely wildflower hike. This 642-acre park set among the hills behind American Canyon has one main trail, and also connects to beautiful Lynch Canyon if you choose to embark on a longer hike. Because the area is relatively unknown except to AmCan locals, you probably won't run into any other people, but you'll likely spot lots of wildlife. Don’t forget the binoculars for some birding!
- Buzz on over to Marshall's Honey Farm, where visitors and honey fans are always welcome to enjoy a sweet experience. You can look around the honey house and see how they extract and bottle the honey, and taste and purchase honey bottled on the spot. Bring your picnic lunch and spread out in the shade to enjoy.
- Before you head back north, stop by Junction Brewery for a burger and a few pints on the patio. In the mood for something else? Check out a full list of American Canyon restaurants open for dine-in here.
- Exploring the Napa Valley as a visitor means you must make time for wine. Stop by The Village at Vista Collina for an early evening wine tasting at one of nine different tasting rooms open until 7 pm.
- Lastly, do something touristy to make it feel like a real vacation! Swing by the Grape Crusher statue at sunset to get that perfect Instagram shot. Did you know the Grape Crusher is the largest sculpture cast west of the Mississippi, measuring three times life-size and weighing 6,000 pounds? Check out more fun facts on this Napa Valley landmark here, and next time friends and family come to visit you can wow them with your Napa Valley knowledge.
Want to see more of American Canyon while getting your post-quarantine steps in? Lace up those sneakers and check out our blog on 10,000 Steps in American Canyon.
Dreaming of a summer getaway without going too far away?
Now’s your chance to enter to win a Napa Valley Staycation! You and a guest will be treated to the full Napa Valley experience — a two-night stay at Vista Collina Resort, inclusive of a picnic breakfast basket with a bottle of sparkling wine on the Vineyard Terrace, wine tasting for two at Trinitas Cellars, and dinner for two at Olive & Hay; plus a tour and tasting for two at Inglenook Winery; Gourmet Express lunch for two on the Napa Valley Wine Train; a gift certificate for $200 to Coqueta; and a Mercantile 12 Napa Valley gift tote packed with local goodies.